DRAFT 2018-05-30 Meeting notes



Status of Minutes


Approved at: DRAFT 2018-06-13 Meeting notes


  1. Call to order
    1. Roll Call & Determination of quorum status
    2. Agenda bashing
    3. Kantara Organization updates 
  2. WG Motions
    1. Motion to approve DRAFT 2018-04-04 Meeting notes and DRAFT 2018-05-02 Meeting notes
  3. Discussion of initial Table of Contents - Corné
  4. Upcoming conferences and events
  5. All Other Business (AOB)
  6. Adjourn



  •  Corné van Rooij, Andrew Hughes, Jim Pasquale,


  •  Chris Olsen, David Turner, Ken Klingenstein, Colin Wallis



Quorum Status

Meeting was <<>> quorate

Voting participants

Participant roster (CMS) - Quorum is 4 of 6 as of 2018-04-02

(Voting status: Corné van Rooij, Jim Pasquale, Andrew Hughes, Tony Fish, Pushpalanka Jayawardhana, John Wunderlich)

Discussion Items





5 min
  • Call to order
  • Roll call
  • Agenda bashing
  • Organization updates

5 minWG Motions
Quorum required 

Meeting was not quorate at the time of motion-making - deferred

Motion to approve DRAFT 2018-04-04 Meeting notes and DRAFT 2018-05-02 Meeting notes

Moved by:



5 min



15 minInterview style to collect informationCorné
  • Corné introduced the idea of using interviews to collect practices from organizations
    • Use several viewpoints: Consumer (UI/UX); data controller (lifecycle, system interactions, auditability)
  • There will be an interaction diagram to help structure the discussions
30 minDiscussion on document draftingCorné

The draft is in a Google doc - feel free to comment - Chairs and Editor will control acceptance of material.

  • Ken suggests prioritizing topics that are not well defined - 
    • e.g. the Facebook/Google coarse grained authorization/consent - it is not fine-grained
    • gathering informed content that makes for effective decisions
    • explaining the minimum attribute set that is required for application function
  • The origins of the document and target audience has been for small-medium enterprises - to help them with a 'known-good' set of practices to follow
  • Also, should change the name to 'Common Practices'
5 minUpcoming conferences and eventsAndrew

Events that Kantara will have an active role: https://kantarainitiative.org/events/

5 minAOBChair
  • myData conference Helsinki - the proposal to the Interoperability track has been accepted - contact Jim at digi.me to get in on the demo
  • Jim notes: 
    • MEF has replied and is setting up a call to discuss some kind of cross-participation
    • IAPP is willing to post new articles on their best practices blog
  • Corné is discussing with KNAB, Roche, DFDS to ask them to present here
  • Jim
    • Personal Data Trade Association - NY/USA based non-profit - did a 2017 'Personal data week'
    • Propose to do a hackathon in September at their Personal data week
    • Cornell has a degree program with projects backed by venture capital - this might be a catalyst for adoption


Next WG meeting Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:00 Eastern Daylight Time / 15:00 BST

Action Items

StatusActionAssigned toDue Date